Psychosocial support systems
School social work in Austria
There are several professional groups in the Austrian school system which provide schools with support in dealing with psychological, health and social challenges. One of these professions is school social work.
School social work is making an increasingly important contribution as part of the psychosocial support system in and for schools.
Even if responsibility mainly lies with the children’s and youth welfare service (and therefore with the federal states), the BMBWF involves itself in this area from the point of view of global coordination of school support systems, facilitation of national dialogue and pan-Austrian development of professional understanding and standardised quality criteria.
School social work is used inside and outside school and covers the entire spectrum of social situations involving pupils. It therefore makes an important contribution to preventing violence and to reducing school drop-out rates.
- Psychosocial advice in and for schools (in German only)
- School social work in Austria (in German only)
- Austrian Centre for the Promotion of Mental Health in Schools (in German only)
- Video: School social work in Styria (in German only)
- Video: "SOZIAL? GENIAL!” Pupils present social work in school. (in German only)
BMBWF, Dept I/2
T +43 1 53120 2933