EU Performance Monitoring for RTI
Goals, functions and products of EU Performance Monitoring for RTI activities in Austria under the EU Framework Programmes for Research
The new EU Performance Monitoring tool for RTI has been available on the website of the Austrian Research Promotion Agency (FFG) since 1 July 2014. The FFG was tasked with carrying out the monitoring project jointly by the Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research (BMBWF), the Federal Ministry of Transport, Innovation and Technology (BMVIT), the Federal Ministry of Sustainability and Tourism (BMNT) and the Federal Ministry of Digital and Economic Affairs (BMDW).
Since Austria’s accession to the EU in 1995, funding from the EU has become an indispensable financial instrument for the Austrian RTI landscape. With Horizon 2020, Austria is trying to increase the return rate of monies flowing back into the country. Monitoring Austrian RTI performance in the EU programmes is one of the central tools for performing this task.
Functions of EU Performance Monitoring
EU Performance Monitoring for RTI (EU-PM) offers the following functions:
- Collection, preparation and communication of reliable data about Austria’s participation
- Self-service portal enabling online queries with definable parameters plus an export function for user-executed data evaluations
- Further augmentation of the data through analysis and interpretation
- Regular periodic evaluations and evaluations on request
- Access to pertinent reports in the online library (with a download option)
- Recording of additional relevant RTI lines of funding for the entire European Research Area (e.g. ERA-Net, JTIs, Art. 185 Initiatives, etc.)
- Option of obtaining basic background data for future reports.
The tasking of the Austrian Research Promotion Agency (FFG) with EU Performance Monitoring means that national and EU participation data is consolidated in a single place. Relevant national data can therefore be juxtaposed with transnational data for the first time in an overall view. FFG specialists make synergetic use of content-related and technical expertise, providing RTI players with strategic intelligence to draw on.
An Internet portal was specially created to offer optimum service to the general public. Users still have the option of separately requesting specific analyses.
Effective 1 July 2015, an online evaluation portal was put into operation for anyone interested in using it. As a user, you can generate evaluations in self-service mode and download aggregated basic background data for further processing (in compliance with data privacy law).
Overview reports on Horizon 2020
Austria set out to strengthen its overall performance in innovation by increasing the return rate of funding from the EU Framework Programmes for Research while also pushing for aid for excellent researchers and addressing the societal challenges identified in the RTI Strategy in a solution-oriented way.
The team for EU Performance Monitoring at the Austrian Research Promotion Agency (FFG) compiles an overview report annually to provide a succinct synopsis of Austria’s performance in the EU Framework Programmes for Research. The data is collected systematically and contextually, creating a basis for achieving lasting improvements in Austria as a location for innovation at national and international level.
Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research
Department of EU- and OECD-Research Policy
T +43 1 51320 5897
- Overview Report 2019 (in German only)
- Overview Report 2018 (in German only)
- Overview Report 2017 (in German only)