Diploma recognition procedure for teachers at federal level
As part of European integration, the mobility of teachers across national borders has also been made considerably easier. Teacher training programs completed within the European Economic Area (EEA), i.e. in a member state of the European Union (EU) or in Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway, as well as Teacher training programs completed in Switzerland can also be recognized in Austria. Recognition takes place within the framework of the directive on the recognition of professional qualifications (Directive 2005/36/EC) or within the framework of the agreement between the European Community and its member states, on the one hand, and the Swiss Confederation, on the other, on the free movement of persons, OJ. L 114/2002, p. 6 (BGBl. III No. 133/2002).
The Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research decides on the recognition of diplomas in the field of teachers at Academic Secondary Schools and Schools for Intermediate Vocational Education and Colleges for Higher Vocational Education after carrying out an administrative procedure. The Federal Ministry for Agriculture, Regions and Tourism decides on the recognition of diplomas in the field of teachers at higher agricultural and forestry schools and the forestry school (see https://www.bmlrt.gv.at/land/land-bbf/bildung-agrar-schulen/anerkennung-der-lehramtsausbildung.html).).
In the procedure for the recognition of professional qualifications, it is determined whether the applicant's evidence of formal qualifications acquired in the EU, the EEA or in Switzerland is substantially equivalent to the conditions for teaching in secondary general and vocational secondary and higher education establishments as laid down in Austria.
The recognition process is initiated by an application for diploma recognition.
- Passport or identity card
- In the case of change of name: marriage certificate or other documents which are proof of the change of the name
- Certificates of competence or qualifications obtained in the EU / EEA area / in Switzerland showing the qualifications of the teaching profession and any additional professional experience required. Certificates of competency or proof of formal qualifications that have not been written in the official language German or in English must also be submitted with a translation by a court-appointed interpreter.
- Documents showing length of study and extent (Diploma Supplement / Diploma Supplement)
- Documents, if any, documenting the language skills required to practice in Austria
- Third-country diplomas recognized in the EU / EEA area / Switzerland, together with a certificate issued by the competent authority for at least three years' professional experience in that Member State
- Documents, if available, on acquired professional practice, which clearly show the applicant's job, or on the knowledge, skills and competences acquired through lifelong learning
- Certification that the exercise of the profession has not been temporarily or definitively prohibited and that no criminal record exists
- Additionally for third-country nationals: residence permit and proof of unlimited access to the labor market
Diploma recognition procedure:
Online Form BMBWF (in German only)
If the application is submitted in connection with an application for an advertised position, it can also be submitted online via the following links from the Bildungsdirektionen.
- Bewerbung online – Burgenland
- Bewerbung online – Kärnten
- Bewerbung online – Niederösterreich
- Bewerbung online – Oberösterreich
- Bewerbung online – Salzburg
- Bewerbung online – Steiermark
- Bewerbung online – Tirol
- Bewerbung online – Vorarlberg
- Bewerbung online – Wien
The Ministry of Education, Science and Research examines the application and makes a decision within four months after the date on which the applicant's complete file was submitted. The applicant can file an appeal against this decision to the federal administrative court within four weeks after the official service of the decision.
The proceedings determine if the formal qualifications of the applicant fulfill the legal requirements to pursue the relevant teaching profession. Furthermore, it is determined whether or not the applicant is allowed to gain access to and pursue that profession in the state where the professional qualifications were issued. If the training of the applicant and the training required by Austria are substantially different, the applicant can be subject to complete an adaptation period or to take an aptitude test. In so doing the applicant's professional experience or the knowledge, skills and competences acquired through lifelong learning are taken into account. Most of the compensatory measures are proof of appropriate knowledge of the German language or Austrian school law.
In case the professional qualifications were issued by a third country (neither EU-country nor EEA member country nor Switzerland), the applicants must usually submit their requests for the recognition to a university.
The Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research will be happy to answer any questions at the email address Berufsanerkennung@bmbwf.gv.at.
Postal applications for diploma recognition should be sent to the following address:
Bundesministerium für Bildung, Wissenschaft und Forschung
The competent Bildungsdirektionen decide on the recognition of diplomas in the field of teachers at general and vocational compulsory schools after carrying out an administrative procedure.
Further information can be found here:
Bildungsdirektion für Kärnten:
Bildungsdirektion für Tirol:
Bildungsdirektion für Wien: